Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review: The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age by Simon Schama


The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden AgeThe Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age by Simon Schama
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I knew Schama from his A History of Britain series via BBC/History and I have been interested about the Golden Age of the Dutch Republic, so that's what brought me to this book. My usual history reading were usually biographies or general histories, so a book dealing with cultural attitudes was something new for me. Overall it was very informative and Schama gives ample examples with engravings and prints thus showing his thorough research. But during some sections, it was a grind to read so much so that I was barely making a dent in the book as time went on. I started this book at the beginning of March and instead of getting through by the end of the month, I still had a ways to go. After taking a break to read a fictional work, it took me only 8 days after picking this book up again to finish. But don't let my own troubles dissuade you from purchasing this book, the insight into Golden Age Dutch culture gives one a basis in viewing Dutch's political, diplomatic, and military decisions during Europe's early modern period.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment