Thursday, December 19, 2013

Book Review: The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar

The Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: The Original Series, #47)The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First mentioned in Star Trek II, The Kobayashi Maru is legendary in Trek fandom as the infamous no-win scenario simulation that Academy cadets must face.  Julia Ecklar gives us a look into how Kirk, Chekov, Sulu, and Scott faced the simulation while dealing with a literal life-and-death situation.  The accounts are personal to each man as we get a glimpse of these characters when they were just cadets, personally I can not pick one as the best of the four however I will say that Ecklar's version of Kirk's creative solution is more impressive than presented in the 2009 Star Trek film.  I would have preferred to have given this 4.5 stars instead of 4, but this is by far the best Star Trek novel I've read and I found it difficult to put down.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment