Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Book Review: The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The fantasy/humor series Discworld began with "The Color of Magic" over 30 years ago and literally hit the funny bone of the vast majority of it's readers.  After finishing it, I can say that I count myself among those who laughed as Terry Pratchett intended back in 1983.

From the first page the absurdity and hilarity hits the reader like a slap, even when you're know that the book is humor.  The adventures of the inept wizard Rincewind who guides Discworld's first tourist, Twoflower, first around Anhk-Morpork then throughout the western lands and the great Circle Sea all the while being followed by the latter's Luggage.  The humorous twists the typical fantasy tropes were well conceived and executed with delightful results that kept me with a smile on my face.

I'm sure I can do a little quibbling about consistency of the humor or the flow of the story.  But frankly this is the first book in a series that stretches to almost 40(!) that I've only just began so what can I really compare it too?  So while long time fans of the entire series somewhat disparage this book, first time readers keep in mind that without this first book none that followed would have come.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment