Thursday, November 19, 2015

Review: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Part III)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I remember seeing the Jeremy Brett adaptation of this story, so I knew the resolution already. However, actually reading the story for the first time makes me understand why I found the adaptation a great watch because the story it as based on was a very good one.

"The Adventure of the Speckled Band"
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Sir Arthur's favorite Holmes story, after reading it I understand why he liked it. The mysteriousness of the first victims death as well as a host of potential killers that creates numerous the story can end that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. The resolution at the end of a night time stakeout is good, but it is a bit confusing which takes away the impact.

"The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb"
My rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

A patient that has lost his thumb has a story Watson knows will intrigue Holmes, he brings the man to his friend and listen as the man gives the tale about how he lost his thumb. While the man's story is engaging, the overall story just wasn't up to anything I've previously read. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment