Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Book Review: Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Endless NightEndless Night by Agatha Christie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A piece of land in rural Britain is said to be cursed due to a tribe of gypsies being forced from it for a house to be built that was the scene of several mysterious deaths, now there are new owners. Endless Night by Agatha Christie follows the account of Michael Rogers whose fateful encounter with said property momentarily brought happiness then pain.

The story is a first-person narrative from Michael’s point of view, which in the mystery genre means he solves the death which centers the mystery, is the killer of said mystery, or is set up as a patsy at the end. Throughout the book Christie gives subtle clues that only become apparent at the climax, yet from the beginning there was a sense of doom that lingered for the entire narrative. Yet it was this depressing feeling, which for me affected my view of the book as while I was interested in how it was going it in my enjoyment of the reading was frankly nonexistent. Frankly it was a good mystery and very well-written but that depressed feeling for some reason stayed with me even when not reading which made the overall experience negative for me.

Endless Night is one of Agatha Christie’s favorites of her own works and is critically acclaimed, while I acknowledge it’s a good story and well-written the overall experience wasn’t for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment