Thursday, April 24, 2014

Review: The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
My rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

This play features one of Shakespeare's most well-known characters, Shylock. Unfortunately I don't know what to make of him after reading the play, he's presented as a villain but at the trial it seems he is cheated out of what is rightfully his. One would have assumed that the loan would have been null and void from the beginning because it violated Venetian law stated by Portia in Act IV. But beyond that Antonio is either an idiot or knew from the beginning that he could put up a pound of flesh and acted stupid at his trial to get off. As I read through this play I kept finding plot hole after plot hole that kept taking my mind off of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment