Monday, December 10, 2018

Review: Strange Creatures by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Strange Creatures by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Dan Retsler, Chief of Police of Whale Rock, overlooks his flood damaged coastal town and thinks back to what led to it.  New Year's Day (1999), Retsler is called to the beach to find a skinned seal pup which is the just the latest in a series animal mutilations.  Retsler knows the culprit is probably a teenager, but things are complicated.  Maria Selvado, a woman claiming to be employed by a local Science Center, keeps cropping up in various aspects of the investigation which intrigues Retsler.  Yet it is Whale Rock's secretly acknowledged weird history and speculation of mythological creatures, namely selkies, that makes Retsler a hero after learning that a bloody Selvado committed suicide by jumping into the ocean.  With barely an hour to evacuate the town, Retsler visits the site of the only two victims of the flood, a father and his teenage son who had both gotten on the bad side of the selkies.

I must apologize for my bad description of this fantastic story, I didn't do it justice.  This one story mean I'll be keeping the entire book on my shelf because I will want to reread this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment